Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Conditional sentences. Part #1

Hi everyone and welcome again!

conditional sentences
I love to share my teaching materials that I prepare for my students. Today I present you some explanations about Conditional sentences. I think, this is one the most difficult part of English grammar for Spanish students because of different tenses and logic that are used in English conditional. Each time we learn this topic, students always have some doubts even after the explanation. 

To begin with, here you have my written materials of conditional types, I prefer to use 4 types inculding zero conditional as a specific type but very related with the first one. I like to use schemes to explain briefly and at the same time completely things and ideas. Tomorrow we will see with you specific cases and on Thrusday we will learn about Mixed conditional. Enjoy it!

The Conditional Type:

0      Zero Conditional
Nature: The condition is possible (natural, physical, scientific facts)
Time: present (simple)
Structure: If + Present Simple/ Present Simple
Example: If you heat water to 100 degrees, it boils.

1      First Conditional
Nature: Open condition, what is said in the condition is possible.
Time: present or future time
Structure: If + Present Simple/ will + inf / present tense / imperative
Example: If he is late, we will have to go without him.
If my mother knows about this, we are in serious trouble

2      Second Conditional
Nature: unreal or improbable situation
Time: the tense is past, but we are talking about the present, now
Structure: If + Past Tense/ would + inf
Example: If I knew her name, I would tell you.
If I were you, I would tell my father.

3      Third Conditional
Nature: unreal situation (no chance)
Time: the tense is past, we are talking about what could be in the past
Structure: If + Past Perfect Tense/ would + have + (past form of verb –ed or 3rd)
Example: If you had warned me, I would not have told your father about that party.(But you didn't, and I have)

No comments:

Post a Comment